How to measure your belt size
Note: Our use of the term `size' refers to the actual measurement of the belt and buckle, as worn, and includes the amount that the buckle adds to the effective length of the belt.
Our `size' assumes a buckle throw-length that approximates the width of the belt where it passes through the buckle.
Example: Our size 38 belt, with a 1" width, will measure 37" from the fold in the leather to the middle of 5 holes. The buckle adds 1" to the size.
Example: a size 38 belt in a 1 1/2" width will measure 36 1/2" from the fold to the middle hole: the buckle will add approximately 1 1/2" to achieve a size of 38. The buckle extends the length of the belt by 1 1/2".
Note: Our use of the term `size' may differ from other makers, many of whom refer to size as the measurement from the fold of the leather to the middle hole.
- If ordering a belt by a measurement from the fold to the middle hole, you need specify that the measurement is to be fold to middle hole; otherwise, we will assume that the measurement allows for a standard buckle throw-length
- If ordering a belt for a buckle that we did not make, you may want to send us your buckle and old belt as a reference for the size of your new belt. This will also allow us to mount the buckle on the new belt and to be sure that the belt and buckle are functionally compatible.
- If ordering a replacement belt for one of our buckle sets that includes a tip, you may want to send us the tip so that we can properly mount it on your new belt. If you intend to mount it yourself, we can put a hole in the belt to accommodate the tip. You may send a photo copy to show the placement of the peg.
To establish your size when ordering a belt for one our buckles:
- Simply measure, with a tailor's tape, over the type of clothing you anticipate wearing (as if the tape were the belt). The measurement will be that of your new belt to the middle of five holes including the buckle.
- Or, lay out a belt and measure the distance from the hole at which you wear it to where that hole will sit on the tongue or prong of the buckle when buckled. This establishes the optimum size and will be the middle hole of your new belt.
- Or, if ordering by pant size, add two inches to trouser size (which refers to waist measurement) to allow for the fact that the belt goes over clothing. Most commonly, a person who thinks of himself as a size 36 for trousers will be a size 38 in our belt.
If ordering a belt by size for a buckle that we did not make, remember to consider the throw-length of the buckle-the amount that the buckle adds to the effective length of the belt, or specify that you are ordering by a measurement from fold to middle hole.
Please call if you have questions. 800.545.2056